Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Grandfather Mtn


I was trying to find some things to do in Boone when I go over in a few weeks (to justify the drive) and remembered that Grandfather Mountain is close by. Huge freaking tourist trap, no doubt, but it's the highest peak in the east (5,964') and apparently has a cool bridge. The first time I was over to go skiing, the scenery was so gorgeous I almost didn't believe I was in NC, and I'm looking forward to seeing it in a new season.


[Edit: that is false. The highest peak in the east is Mount Mitchell (6,684'), but it IS in North Carolina! Grandfather Mountain is the highest peak in the Blue Ridge.]


AND it's especially cool because my Digital Libraries class is building a digital library (go figure) of UNC's collection of Hugh Morton photographs. Hugh Morton was the founder/commercializer of Grandfather Mountain and donated the tens of thousands of photographs he took over the course of his life to Carolina when he died. Read the photo archivists' blog "A View to Hugh" here.


No comments: