Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Day 7: Pretended to fly 2 helicopters today

After our high-stress trip to the beach this weekend (just kidding, it was kind of the opposite of high-stress), the last 2 days have been pretty low-key--just hanging out in Tucson. Eating some good food, watching Flight of the Conchords, having cooking adventures, meeting Susan's friends, lounging at the coffee shop, you know. Generally soaking up time with my pal I don't get to see too often these days.

However, 2 things of note happened:

1.) There was a cockroach in my purse last night. A live one. It touched my hand. I kicked over the bag, Susan sprayed it with roach spray, and I scooped it up with the fireplace shovel and put it in the trash. We don't like roaches too much.

2.) Today we went to the Pima Air & Space Museum! We were lucky enough to be there on the day that 3 of the Flying Thunder helicopters were making a stop on their way back to California after escorting a group of veterans across the country for a Memorial Day trip to the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington, DC. We waited with a crowd of people to watch them land and afterwards got to sit in them, look all around them, and meet the pilots. We took turns driving:I think I'm the more convincing fake pilot.

The museum has a LOT of aircraft of all shapes and sizes, but unfortunately nothing was very well explained on the signs or brochure. It might have been more meaningful if we had known anything at all about planes. Instead there was a lot of "ooh, look at that one!" It was a nice (hot) day and we had fun anyway.

Tomorrow I'll say goodbye to the desert (for now) and make the long trek up to the Four Corners area. It's hard to believe, but driving the length of Arizona is essentially equivalent to driving from Chapel Hill to State College. I guess that means I should get some sleep!

No comments: