Think of Carrboro on the most beautiful day of the year--no humidity, blue sky, flowers blooming, cool breeze--but surrounded by snow-capped mountains and rocky ridges, and cut down the middle by a river. Cars with ski racks line the streets, packs of mountain bikers pass by as you sit at the coffee shop, and occasionally you see a person in a life jacket, helmet, and spray skirt walking down the street (and a few more in cowboy hats). At the farmers' market, locals sell elk and venison alongside vegetables and baked goods. Yeah, Durango, Colorado. A+.When I got here Friday afternoon, Jon and I took a walk along the river (where a few kayakers were surfing around and running gates) and downtown and later went out for dinner and drinks at Carver Brewing Co. and another outdoor patio place that had a blues band and a big happy hour crowd.
Yesterday, after the farmers' market, I drove up to Silverton, CO via the San Juan Skyway. The popular thing is to take the historic Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad but that didn't really fit my budget or my time frame. Anyway, by driving I got to stop at Purgatory/Durango Mountain Resort, Coal Bank and Molas Passes (both over 10,000'), stand in the snow, and take my time looking around Silverton. Silverton is a neat little (former?) mining town that is now lined with touristy stores, cafes, etc. I followed a sign to Silverton Ski Area about 5 miles back a dirt road and wasn't impressed by the area itself but got to see more nice scenery. You can check out my flickr album from the trip, but I'll warn you that it's mostly pictures of mountains and awkward self portraits :)
When I got back, Jon and I took a quick hike to the top of the ridge overlooking the town. The trail head is about 2 blocks away from where they live and connects to a whole network of hiking/biking trails--I think the three of them are really enjoying living here so far! Lots to do before Nathan goes to work in the fall (at Fort Lewis College). Nathan and Rebekah are out of town for the weekend, but Jon is an excellent host and hopefully I'll get to see them before I take off.AND last night I dragged Jon to his first rodeo! He wore his camo hat, muddy boots, and Guss Family Reunion t-shirt for the occasion but might have fit in better if he had a nice belt buckle. We had a great time there watching barrel racing and bull riding (crazy, crazy people) but were slightly disappointed by the lack of a beer tent. But at least now Jon can say he's a real Coloradan!


No comments:
Post a Comment