Monday, June 9, 2008

Mesa Verde, home of a million lizards

but it was still pretty fantastic and I loved it!
We started out at the Spruce Tree House cliff dwellings and hiked the Petroglyph Point Trail that winds through Spruce and Navajo Canyons. There was some slight confusion about the definition of "rugged" in the trail description (Jon was thinking "covered by a rug"; it turned out to be "presenting a severe test of ability, stamina, or resolution") and there was only one small petroglyph, but the scenery and hike itself were completely worth it.
We did see many neat/terrifying lizards, including this guy:
After visiting the Chapin Mesa Archeological Museum (which we both thought was pretty great) and some 2-for-1 ice cream, we took another hike in the north end of the park on the Knife Edge Trail. This one didn't have any rugs either, but we saw lots of pretty flowers, mesas, rocky cliffs, and snow-covered peaks to the north and west (some of them are actually in Utah). It is pretty amazing how diverse the scenery is from one end of the park to the other. Lizard count: 0.
I decided to stay in Durango an extra day to wander the streets a bit, take another hike this afternoon, and hopefully see my other cousin and his wife who have so generously let me stay in their house this weekend! Tomorrow I'm going to work my way over to Page, AZ and then move on to Flagstaff for a few days. I have a great book about day trips from Flagstaff, but if you have any opinions about cool things to see or do in that area, I'd love to hear them! Or any other comments at all :)

3 comments:

Lisa Gregory said...

I don't have anything earthshattering to say, except that I'm glad you got to see NM. Everyone should! It made me miss it and the incredible weather variations. And the sky. : ( You should be glad you're missing this 100-degree heat wave. Blech.

Enjoy CO, and I'm looking forward to your next installment with kind-hearted but very severe jealousy.

Sam said...

Thanks Lisa! I only got to see a tiny piece of NM and definitely want to go back sometime. I hope you're surviving the heat and your job and I can't wait to have lunch with you again soon :)

Unknown said...

Love the lizards! I am hoping that it is a nice place to visit but you would not want to live there. Just a "mom" comment. Glad you are having a great trip. Hi to Nathan, Rebekah, and Jon. I am enjoying your blog entries and pics.
Safe travels!
Mom